Monday, March 15, 2010

Disney… what a stitch…literally

Our day at Magic Kingdom was incredible, long,  and included a trip to the hospital for 9 stitches (yes, you read that right, but more about that later).  We started the day with Breakfast at Cinderella’s Royal Table for Princess Taylor.  Cinderella and the Fairy Godmother were outside of Cinderella’s Castle, and took pictures with each of the kids as we entered the Castle.  We were then escorted inside to our table where we all had breakfast, and each of the Disney Princesses made an appearance, came over to our table to sign Taylor’s & Zach’s books, and we took pictures.  It was a fun time, and a great experience for Taylor.  She was so excited to meet her favorite Princesses!  She was wearing her Cinderella Princess Dress, and everywhere she went people were saying “Hi Princess”.  After the Castle, we ventured out to the Dumbo Ride, followed by It’s  a Small World & the Carousel.  The kids were having so much fun!  The crowds were like nothing I have ever seen, and as the day went on it got to be hard to handle.  At one point there was literally a traffic jam of people walking down the road.   We had ice cream, went to a 3D movie & the kids went on the infamous Teacups ride.  We even caught a couple of the parades, and watched a show with fireworks at the end.  Lauren had an incredible day.  It’s as if she knew we needed this from her on what was going to be a crazy day for us.  She was content in her stroller and took a good long nap. Yay!

Later in the afternoon, Zach was exhausted and starved and Taylor wanted to go on the Railroad Rollercoaster ride, so Ben and my Dad decided to stay back with Zach & Lauren to get some food and play in Pooh’s Corner (basically a playground area) while my Mom and I took Taylor to the ride.  Little did we know, this was going to be the start of the end of the day at Disney for all of us.  First, let me say that Taylor’s first roller coaster experience was so much fun.  We had her sandwiched in between my Mom and I  and she LOVED every minute of it.  We are all screaming as we went up and down and all over the place.  As soon as it came to a stop, she said I want to go AGAIN!  She is such a dare devil, the faster the better- it really cracks me up.  Anyway, we were all laughing as we got off the ride, and suddenly I realized I didn’t have my cell phone.  It had fallen out of my pocket on the ride.  This is the 2nd time I have lost my cell phone in the last month, so I was a pretty annoyed with myself.   So, I called Ben to ask where they were and to tell him I had lost my cell phone.  He told us they were still at Pooh’s Corner and we decided to meet them there.  On our way, we got stuck in such congested foot traffic it took us much longer than we were expecting.   At one point, Taylor got separated from us.. and although I had my eye on her, she couldn’t see me and was hysterical.  We finally arrived at Pooh’s Corner, and Ben and my Dad were no where to be found.  I thought it was strange, but just assumed they needed to get going somewhere with the kids, so as my Mom picked up her cell phone to call them it rang… it was my Dad.   Zach has a “bump” on his head he said, they were over at First Aid and we needed to get over to First Aid- right NOW.  My Mom hung up  and my first thought was, Zach has a “bump” on his head?  That sounds like my Dad trying to make something sound like a lot less big of a deal than it is, and why would they be at First Aid if he just had a bump?  Well, we were discussing this, we are weaving in and out of a crazy crowd and I’m starting to get more panicked by the second.  The more I think about it, the more I’m thinking Zach is really hurt. Something is going on, and they don’t want me to know, and they don’t want me to freak out.   At this point, my Mom’s phone rang and she realized she had 5 messages from earlier when Ben and my Dad were trying to get a hold of us.   Zach needs to get stitches, Zach is really hurt, Zach had collided with some little girl on the playground.  At this point, I am almost running, all I can think about it getting to my son.   We arrived at First Aid, and Zach is sitting on Ben with a big bandage on his head & dried blood on his face. My Dad is walking around with Lauren.  As soon as Zach saw me his eyes welled up with tears.  My poor baby.  The story goes that Zach and another little girl had cracked heads while playing in Pooh’s Corner, and the other little girl walked away without a scratch, but Zach managed to split his head open.  It was about an inch long gash going right through his eyebrow.  They arranged to get us a shuttle, so we could get to the hospital.  We decided Ben would take Zach to the hospital and I would stay behind with the other 2 kids.   To make a long story short, this was at 4:00p.m., Zach and Ben left on the bus, and they didn’t arrive back at our hotel room until 11:00p.m at night.. no nap, and no dinner and a head wound!  It was awful.   They had to wait in the ER for over 3 hours, and another 45 minutes once they got back in the room.  It was crazy.  Ben and I kept in constant contact via cell phone, and it was killing me not to be with them. Ben said  Zach had to be restrained while he got his stitches put in.  As Ben put it, “This was one of those times where  it is better if you don’t know all of the details”.  Zach had his Disney Autograph book with him at this hospital though, and the whole hospital staff autographed his book.  Poor child, he will forever be able to say he went to Disney & left with 9 stitches.  I can just see it someday… Do you see this scar?  This is the one I got when I went to Walt Disney World.  So far he is doing really well, and seems to have bounced back.  He keeps saying he has Boo-Boo oh his head, and he bonked heads with a girl.  He keeps telling us he went to the Doctor.  So far, it has been an eventful trip… as I write this Zach, Taylor & Lauren are all sleeping in the back seat and we are on our way to our final destination-  Palm Beach Shores, Florida.  7 days of relaxation, oh and add to that trying to keep a 2 year old from getting his stitches wet.  Should be easy, right?

Disney! 124

Just entering the park… Taylor and Zach checking out Cinderella’s Castle.

Disney! 125

More of my babies…

Disney! 131

So excited to be at Disney!

Disney! 136

My 3 babies… 

Disney! 175

Taylor & Mommy at Cinderella’s Royal Table… Disney! 174

Taylor and Belle

Disney! 159Taylor, Daddy, Zach (who wasn’t so sure) & Snow White.     

 

Disney! 154

Taylor & Cinderella

Disney! 162Taylor and Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)

Disney! 178

The Dumbo Ride…

Disney! 186 The Carousel    Disney! 195

This kid was cracking me up on the Carousel… waving and waving like crazy… at everybody and anybody.  People in the crowd were waving at him and laughing.Disney! 200Lo and Mommy on It’s a Small World…

Disney! 206

One of my last shots of Zachie pre-stitches… :(

Disney! 202Tay with Grammie & Papa on the Small World ride.

Disney! 219

The Teacup ride, Zach was starting to melt down at this point… from pure exhaustion.

 

Disney! 240

11:00p.m. straight from the E.R. this kid is a trouper.  He was eating chicken nuggets & telling us all about his boo-boo.

Palm Beach Shores Day 1 002

The injury. 

4 comments:

Jen said...

OH.MY.WORD!!!! Seriously, cannot believe that happened! Talk about an eventful day! Looks like the kids LOVED Disney though so that is awesome! And you--way to be a strong momma! I'm sure your heart was breaking the whole time Zach was going through that. I seriously cannot imagine--but I know its ahead of me at somepoint with these little boys of ours! Good job! You and Zach were both very brave!! What a memory!

Andrea said...

Are you kidding me!??!?! WOW Carrie, I am so sorry that you had to go through that. I would be a royal mess! I hope that you guys enjoy some peace and relaxaiton at your next destination. :)

Landscape of our Life said...

Wow... I was exhausted just reading about your busy, busy, day and Zach's injury. Hope the next 7 days are awesome!!! Enjoy... thinking of you guys. :-)

Lesley said...

Oh Care...what a day! You weren't kidding when you said it was right through his eyebrow. I couldn't picture it when you were telling me, but oh my...poor little guy. Give him big kisses from us. What a trooper! Looks like a great time otherwise though. I think you might need a vacation from your vacation. Phew!! Love ya!