Thursday, January 07, 2010
First playdate on her own....
I am only going to write about this at my friend Angie's prompting. It will be a good memory, if I ever want to laugh at myself. Today, Taylor had her first play date without Mommy. Generally, when we have play dates, we get together with the Mom as well, but yesterday at school she was asking by her good friend C (we'll call her C for anonymity) if she could come over. This kind of stressed me out because I haven't really done the whole play on your own thing, and I didn't know if C's Mom expected me to come, or if it was ok that I was dropping my child at her house for 3 hours. So, when C's Mom asked me if Taylor was busy I said No, she's not but my other 2 will be taking naps. So, she said I'll call you tomorrow. Well, we set it up, got things straightened out and I decided to take Taylor after lunch. Ben came home for lunch, so I decided to run out while he was home so I didn't have to load everyone up! Let me first say, that I don't get out much during the week... with 3 kiddos.. I try to limit it when the weather is bad. So, I didn't realize how horrible the roads were. About half way there I was thinking to myself, this is an insane thing to drive across town for on a day like this. I was also thinking what a pain in the butt it's going to be to pick her up in 3 hours. Well, we arrive at C's house... and lo and behold.. she's lives in like the nicest neighborhood in town. Seriously. Beautiful home. I'm slightly intimidated. So, I pull the highlander in the driveway only to realize I can't get in the driveway.. and I'm sliding backwards. So, I reverse it, gun it and still no luck. Crap, I decide we will park at the end of the driveway with the butt of my vehicle sticking out into the road. So, I get Taylor out and we make the steep trek up to the front door of her home, and we walk into something straight out of a magazine and I'm not talking Pottery Barn. I'm talking, amazing, beautiful, professionally decorated home... so I tromps into her pristine home and I see her gaze down at my feet only to realize my ugg boots are totally covered in snow, and my jeans are all bunched up to my knees... because I forgot to tuck them into my boots or pull them down or whatever. SO, I look totally ghetto... had I even showered today? Oh, that's right.. I did (phew), but I certainly hadn't taken the time to do my hair. She was nice enough, but then her daughter said to Taylor as she was taking her coat & stuff off, here let me take that.. we have a room for that stuff. I'm laughing to myself, thinking we have chairs in our house for that stuff. ha..ha. So, I thanked her told her I would be back to pick Taylor up at 3:30 and made way back to my car, backed up and got stuck on her street. I then spent the next 20 minutes trying to get my car up the incline out of her street and out of her neighborhood. I was seriously sweating bullets, praying out loud, God please help me, please help me, please help me. I did not want to have to walk back into her house.... To do what? Sit there? Ask for a push? I didn't even have my cell phone on me.. so what should I do ask to use the phone? Sorry, I'm 12 and I can't drive in the snow, can I use your phone so somebody can come drive my car out of your neighborhood for me? Seriously, at one point the highlander was sideways in the road blocking all traffic... I somehow, thanks to God, managed to get things squared away and I got out of the neighborhood. I drove home, walked in the house and told Ben he will be picking Taylor up from her play date this afternoon. Ahhh, the stresses of being a Mom. I hope Taylor has a fun time today. For what it' s worth, C is a very sweet little girl and they have tons of fun together. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
OMW Care - that is quite a day! Great memory though that you can hopefully laugh at now. The things we do for our kids!
oh my gosh carrie..i'm dying thinking of your mortification. it just reminds me of brown beast stresses.
Totally... I think this ranks up there with me rolling up in front of the delphi cottage right next to you-know-who... ha!
Reading the post made me laugh again. I love it. My boys are out in the snow now. I hope they aren't hitting each other with snow shovels. See your story sounds nice compared to mine.
Post a Comment