While recently reading an article in a new web-magazine I love called house of fifty, I got to thinking about family meals. Do you eat together as a family? I grew up with family meals. Not every night, but often enough that I can still remember sitting down together and what it felt like. I can still remember exactly where we sat. I remember the comfort in sitting down to eat with my parents for dinner & feeling safe. For that reason, I've always tried to make it a priority. I loved this article... I highly recommend you read it & the entire magazine too.. here is just a little excerpt, "Research shows that children not only learn the art of conversation from eating together, but also build stronger vocabularies and learn to listen well. In school, they are better equipped to excel and form healthier relationships with peers. As teenagers they are more likely to stay away from drugs, alcohol & tobacco. Without question, the family dinner encourages healthier eating habits and provides a much needed predictable routine for children." (House of Fifty, pg 92) Now, with that said, if someone could please just make the meals for me; and deal with my tantruming, demanding, not-wanting-to-eat-anything-I-cook- children, it might actually be somewhat enjoyable! Ha.. But really, we do try to make this a regular occurrence & I know that someday I am going to look back on these memories we have created and truly cherish them. It certainly doesn't happen every night, but hopefully often enough that my children will always remember it. Oh, and plus it can only get better as they get older.. right??? :)
Friday, April 29, 2011
Eating together
While recently reading an article in a new web-magazine I love called house of fifty, I got to thinking about family meals. Do you eat together as a family? I grew up with family meals. Not every night, but often enough that I can still remember sitting down together and what it felt like. I can still remember exactly where we sat. I remember the comfort in sitting down to eat with my parents for dinner & feeling safe. For that reason, I've always tried to make it a priority. I loved this article... I highly recommend you read it & the entire magazine too.. here is just a little excerpt, "Research shows that children not only learn the art of conversation from eating together, but also build stronger vocabularies and learn to listen well. In school, they are better equipped to excel and form healthier relationships with peers. As teenagers they are more likely to stay away from drugs, alcohol & tobacco. Without question, the family dinner encourages healthier eating habits and provides a much needed predictable routine for children." (House of Fifty, pg 92) Now, with that said, if someone could please just make the meals for me; and deal with my tantruming, demanding, not-wanting-to-eat-anything-I-cook- children, it might actually be somewhat enjoyable! Ha.. But really, we do try to make this a regular occurrence & I know that someday I am going to look back on these memories we have created and truly cherish them. It certainly doesn't happen every night, but hopefully often enough that my children will always remember it. Oh, and plus it can only get better as they get older.. right??? :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I was looking at that house of fifty. fun. love family meals together too. now if we could make it through without someone throwing a fit, that would be an accomplishment.
Funny you posted this- we have been having lots of talks about this it our house. If I have to guess we eat together (at the table) 98% of the time. One night we have pizza and a movie, in the living room
My older girls just asked "Can we have a day where we make dinner (as in themselves) for the whole family? Sure why not.
Dinners around the table I think are so important, that is where we learn about all the little things going on in the kids classrooms/ daily lives.
Thanks for recommending the site!!
Post a Comment